The main street of the city. It was named after Catherine II, whose decision was to relocate the Greek people here from Crimea. Other names of the street were Bolshaya, Lenin Avenue, now – Peace Avenue. The city center was at the beginning of the street, where there Market Square and a huge cathedral – Charlampievsky cathedral. It was the center of trade and life of the townspeople. At the top of the cathedral, there was a huge clock – 2 meters diameter, which the Soviet authorities removed before blowing up the cathedral. They planned to put it on the city council building but never did, and then the clock was lost.
Only the richest people in Mariupol had money to buy land on this street. It was one of the first to be paved and illuminated: it had 35 kerosene lanterns, while the other streets had 6. It was the first street that got electricity (February 1909). There were the first cinemas, shops, hairdressers, candy shops, hotels, and even a casino.